New Docent Recruitment Open House - March 10, 2015 @ 3:00 PM
If you are interested in becoming a Ringling Docent, you are invited to attend this Open House. At this session, we will answer your questions regarding the Docent program and review the application process.
Learn more about becoming a Ringling Docent
Docents help to facilitate a richer, more rewarding experience for visitors by providing engaging tours in the Museum of Art, Ca’ d’Zan Mansion, Circus Museum, Bayfront Gardens, and special exhibitions.
Our next new docent training is scheduled to take place from September 2015 through January 2016, and it will prepare participants for guiding visitors through the Ca’ d’Zan. We are currently seeking individuals for this exciting opportunity with the following skills and experience:
- Available to lead tours approximately 10 out of 12 months each year
- Interested in providing tours to diverse audiences
- Have an outgoing and friendly disposition
- Possess strong public speaking, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Be flexible, dependable, and a team player
- Comfortable with standing and walking for extended periods of time and climbing stairs
- Have an active e-mail account and be comfortable using computers or other internet-connected devices for communication with colleagues and web navigation
A significant commitment is required to be a docent at The Ringling. In addition to the initial training course, docents take part in a continuing training program that centers on current tour techniques, the collections, and special exhibitions. They also participate in quarterly general meetings and agree to provide 75 hours of service annually.
To be considered for the 2015-2016 training, one must successfully complete the entire application and selection process. The first step involves the completion of our online volunteer application and the submission of a resume and cover letter for staff’s review.
All items must be received by the March 31, 2015 application deadline. Those who best meet the Docent Program criteria will receive notifications and additional information regarding the application process.
For more about this opportunity, please refer to the detailed 2015-2016 Docent Assignment Description.