The Saturday for Educators Workshop Series is designed to enhance educators’ understanding of The Ringling’s collections and special exhibitions, and provide an opportunity for networking, collaboration, and inspiration. The Ringling offers Saturday for Educators throughout the school year.
- 3 hours of CEU credit are awarded upon completion
- The program includes a lecture, gallery experience & hands-on activity or lesson plan
- Integration with Common Core & Next Generation Sunshine State Standards
- 9:00am to 1:00pm: Check-in begins at 8:30 am
- The cost of the program is $5.00; Lunch is included, pre-registration is required
September 6, 2014 ǀ Reading, Writing and Reasoning with Art
Art is a powerful tool for strengthening language and reasoning skills. In this workshop, we will use works of art in the Ringling collection to practice description, analysis, and interpretation of a visual "text". Join us as we explore interdisicplinary connections between visual art and the new Florida Standards for Language Arts.
November 1, 2014 ǀ Behind Closed Doors: Art in the Spanish American Home
This exhibition of decorative arts, paintings, and other luxury goods provides a rare glimpse into the homes of Spanish colonists in the Americas. By examining objects from present-day Mexico, South America, the southern United States, and the Caribbean, we will earn more about life in the colonial era, and we will make connections to Florida's own Spanish past. This workshop will address content standards in social studies and visual arts.
February 21, 2015 ǀ Conserving Culture ǀ February 21, 2015
Why is it important to conserve objects, and how do conservators go about that task? To answer these questions, we’ll be taking a look at the philosophy, art, and science behind conservation. Designed to address visual art and science standards, this workshop will explore the meanings that we attach to our “stuff” and the ways in which we preserve it.
April 18, 2015 ǀ Science of the Circus
Together with the outstanding education department at The Circus Arts Conservatory, we will spend this workshop experimenting with the scientific concepts that give circus acts their wow factor. This fun and captivating look at circus artistry will connect with standards in science.
June 6, 2015 ǀ Classicism in the Courtyard
Surround yourself with classical sculpture during this workshop, which will focus on the magnificent bronzes that fill the courtyard of the Museum of Art. Learn about the techniques used to cast copies of ancient sculptures and the reasons why collectors like John Ringling sought them out. This session will address standards in visual art.
- Registration for each program will open approximately one month before its scheduled date.
- Complete the Saturday for Educators Registration Form.
- You must complete a registration form for each program that you plan to attend.
- To finalize your reservation call Advance Sales at 941-358-3180, Mon-Fri, 9:00am-4:00pm Please have your credit card information ready.
- For more information or if you have questions about Saturday for Educators, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 941-359-5700, ext. 3705.