Ca' d'Zan Docent Training Opportunity
Docents at The Ringling love to learn and love sharing what they have learned with others. We are seeking individuals for our next docent training opportunity, which will be September 2017 – January 2018 and will be focused on Ca’ d’Zan, the Ringlings’ 1920s mansion on Sarasota Bay.
What does a docent do?
Through a variety of tours, docents make our collections accessible and engaging for the diverse audiences that visit our venues.
Your time, passion, energy, and enthusiasm! A significant time commitment is required to be a docent at The Ringling. Docents are continuously provided with the most up-to-date information on the collections and current methods of delivering content to our visitors.
To be considered, individuals must be able to lead tours year round and provide a minimum of 75 hours annually through tours, meetings, and trainings in support of the docent program. Docents serve a maximum of six years in the program, after which other volunteer options may be explored.
Concerned that you know very little about art, history, or museums in general?
Not to worry! The training course is comprehensive and includes content-based lectures as well as training on effective touring techniques.
What makes an ideal docent?
Ideal candidates for this volunteer opportunity possess the following skills and experience:
- Available to lead a variety of tours year round
- Interested in engaging with diverse visitors of all ages
- Comfortable with standing and walking for extended periods of time and climbing several flights of stairs
- Possess strong public-speaking, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Have a outgoing and friendly disposition
- Be flexible, dependable, and a team-player
- Have an active email account and be comfortable using computers or other internet-connected devices for communication and web-navigation
Interested in applying?
Please continue reading for additional details about the opportunity.
If interested in applying for the upcoming docent training, please
- Complete our online volunteer application at https://www.ringling.org/volunteer-application,
- Email a current resume and letter of interest to the Volunteer Services Department at email@example.com Only materials submitted via email will be considered.
- The deadline for application is April 30, 2017.
If you are interested in helping us preserve and share the Ringling legacy, we encourage you to apply!