The Ringling’s docents help to facilitate a richer, more rewarding experience by providing various tours in the Museum of Art, Ca’ d’Zan Mansion, Circus Museum, Bayfront Gardens, and special exhibitions. By creating a dialogue with tour participants, they help to make our collections accessible and engaging for the diverse audiences that visit our venues.
When recruiting for this role, we seek enthusiastic individuals with the following skills and experience:
- Available to lead tours approximately 10 out of 12 months each year
- Interested in providing tours to visitors of all ages
- Have an outgoing and friendly disposition
- Possess strong public speaking, listening, and problem-solving skills
- Be flexible, dependable, and a team player
- Comfortable with standing and walking for extended periods of time and climbing stairs
- Have an active e-mail account and be comfortable using computers or other internet-connected devices for communication with colleagues and web navigation
A significant commitment is required to be a docent at The Ringling. In addition to the initial training course, docents take part in a continuing education program that centers on current tour techniques, the collections, and special exhibitions. They also participate in quarterly general meetings and agree to provide 75 hours of service annually.
If you would like to receive notification when our next period of recruitment beings for this unique volunteer opportunity, we invite you to complete our on-line volunteer application, indicating the docent assignment as a preference.